Friday 10 July 2015

Poised on the Brink of an Experiential Playground


At this point in my life, I am in the midst of preparing for the 2015 Mildura Writers' Festival. Not only is it my first year attending the festival, but I have the privilege of attending it through my Winter subject at University – Writers in Action: Writing the Festival. Given this is the first time I’ve taken a subject in ‘block mode’, I was initially approaching this event through a lens of apprehension, stressing that I might be inadequate or fail in some way at this form of learning I’ve never really undertaken before… but now as I’m getting closer to it, I am not so much stressed as excited. This is an opportunity and I am going to make the most of it.



In preparation for the Festival, I am perusing some of the works of Thomas Keneally and Alexis Wright. Of the former, I have read The Widow and Her Hero, detailing a woman’s experience of loss following the death of her husband, a captain in World War II. It was an absorbing read that once again proved the emotional and empathetic value to be found in examining history and the human experience through the lens of fiction. Of Alexis Wright, I have recently begun The Swan Book, which even in its opening stages presents a clever and honest narrative voice, and deals with such intrinsically human issues as belonging and displacement; I am looking forward to exploring the rest of it. It perhaps goes without saying that I’ve fortunately chosen two thoroughly compelling authors to focus on in research for the festival.


As for the Writers' Festival itself, the schedule promises to be an experiential playground for someone like me. I’ve been writing stories in some form of my own since I was thirteen but I’ve never been part of such a wide gathering of people, whose interests at least partially revolve around the craft of the written word, in the one place. I’m excited to learn new things, listen to the discoveries of those with far more creative experience than me, meet new people and discover things about myself as a writer that I can use in my future endeavours to create something of which I can be proud.


So let Thursday come. I will greet it with open arms. I have faith that I will come out the other side of it not only with enjoyment and at least somewhat better writing skills, but perhaps a bit better human being than I was before it.
 
 
Image reference links:

4 comments:

  1. Great post Zach! I'm glad you're feeling less apprehensive about WiA. I remember how petrified I was at my first block mode experience, but I now reckon it is the best way to 'do' a subject. Preparation is key, and you're well on your way, so well done! Good luck, looking forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It's lovely to receive such words of encouragement. I am happy to hear you look upon it so favourably now! If all goes well with this block mode - as I am sure it will - it'll definitely be something to consider throughout the rest of my course. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. What a great first blogpost Zach. And your blog does not look amateurish at all! You're in for a treat meeting Tom Keneally. He's really friendly, approachable and generous. Maybe you can line up a wee interview with him and write a profile piece :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I appreciate it! I definitely felt a warm voice throughout TWAHH so I am looking forward to that! It's just going to be nice to hear experiences of all these writers, really. I am excited for what is to come! Thanks again for the kind words! :)

      Delete